A literal wedge of iceberg lettuce smothered in blue cheese and bacon, the old school wedge salad was a staple of classic steak houses until American palettes started craving more sophisticated and delicate lettuce greens (baby kale and arugula with heirloom beets anyone?). But just like how traditional southern faire or Americana cuisine have been having a major renaissance, the classic blue cheese wedge salad is also making a slow and steady comeback onto restaurant menus. And for good reason. Iceberg lettuce may not be the sexiest of greens, but it makes a hearty vehicle for traditional, strong flavors of bacon and blue cheese. The key to the updated wedge salad is to make the blue cheese dressing from scratch, which luckily for you, gentle reader, is super easy. Whether you’re having a swanky dinner party or need something cheap and cheerful for Wednesday night, try kicking it old school with this super easy and super delicious wedge salad.
Wedge Salad with Home Made Blue Cheese Dressing, makes 4 pretty big servings
For the Salad:
- 4 slices Bacon (I used candied Bacon-Here’s how you make it)
- 3-4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 head of Ice berg lettuce, cored, rinsed off, and cut into quarters
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced
- 6 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 pint of grape tomatoes
- 1 recipe for Blue Cheese dressing
- Sharp knife for veggies and lettuce
- A Big platter for serving
1) Cook your bacon as you so desire. I candied my bacon because its fancy yet easy just like me (HAHAHAHA! I’m hilarious!). Set is aside so it can cool down to room temperature so it doesn’t wilt your lettuce. You can make this the night before too.
2) Cook your hard boiled eggs. I use the Barefoot Contessa hard boiled egg method because Ina Garten knows everything. Place the eggs in a sauce pan and cover them with cold water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. When the water starts to boil, immediately turn off the heat, put a lid on the pot, and take the pot off the heat. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 15 minutes. Take them them out of the water and place in an ice bath for at least two minutes. When they are cool enough to handle, peel them and slice them in to wedges. *Note- If prepping eggs the night before or hours before, store them with their shells on and peel right before serving.
2) Prep your Iceberg lettuce: Peel of the first few layers of leaves (they’re typically wilted) until the outside leaves start looking crunchy and like they are holding their shape. Then, with a sharp knife, cut out the bottom stem and pull it out. This should also pull out the core as well. Slice the salad into quarters.
3) Slice your veggies (these honestly can be whatever you like to eat. I like the combo of radishes, cucumbers, and tomatoes because they pair nicely with the blue cheese).
4) Arrange your veggies, lettuce wedges, and bacon on a big ol’ platter so that they look extra fancy… or don’t. You’re just going to mess it all up when you eat it anyway. Spoon blue cheese dressing over the salad and serve.
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (you can also use sour cream)
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise (I use Hellmann’s)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes hot sauce (such as Chalula or Tobasco)
- 2-3 oz. blue cheese (depending on how much blue cheese you like)
- fresh pepper to taste
- Food Processor (You can hand mix this too)
The Process: Place everything in the food processor and blend until mixed. Garnish with extra blue cheese
Disclaimer: I received no money or free swag for this post. Sad face.
If you like this post, subscribe, like, or share it with your loved ones, coworkers, or random people on the street. Please and thank you!